Maps are an important part of The Mana World.
You can build a map for The Mana World using Tiled
- Size: around 200x200 tiles is good in practice, though the theoretical maximum is 2048x2048
- In the Argaes woodland, outdoor maps should be 150x120 including the 20 tile border.
- Tile size: 32x32
- Map border: you have to leave an empty border around the map of at least 20 tiles (Diagram)
- Walls/players proportions: a normal door for a player is 2 tiles in height
- Indoor/Outdoor proportions: it is not required that inside view of buildings has to fit the size in outside view
- Path reference: please use tmw folder structure to keep references to tilesets working
- Transparent color: tilesets use alpha so no need to set a transparent color
- Layers: each map can have many layers. Two layers are special:
- Fringe: this layer is drawn simultaneously with items and beings, where tiles north of a being are drawn behind the being and tiles south of the being are drawn in front. Hence this layer is suitable for adding static objects to a map like plants or statues.
- Collision: this is a special layer for which you have to use the collision tileset. Use the red collision tile where you want a tile to be unwalkable. Be careful that even if a tile is not reachable, but it's walkable, the server can spawn monsters there, so you won't be able to reach them, or you can cause weird situations. For example fill a wall with collision tiles, not only the borders, or you could have monsters spawning inside the wall.
In a good style of mapping, please always use the lowest layer as possible (this is also in the interests of performance, since it keeps down overdraw).
Here a list of all existing maps:
|002||1||Sandstorm, south of Tulimshar|
|3||Desert mines, level 1|
|4||Desert mines, level 2|
|003||1||Beach leading to woodlands|
|004||1||Beach west of Tulimshar|
|005||1||Snake desert, SW of Tulimshar|
|3||Desert mountains caves|
|007||1||South east woodland|
|008||1||Woodland around Hurnscald|
|3||Cave beneath Hurnscald|
|5||Snake Lord's cave|
|3||North woodland caves|
|013||1||North east woodland|
|3||West woodland caves|
|015||1||South west woodland|
|017||1||North woodland mountains|
|3||North woodland mountain caves|
|018||1||Woodland mines (outdoor)|
|2||Woodland mines (mining camp indoor)|
|3||Woodland mines level 1|
|020||1||Snow town (Nivalis)|
|2||Snow town indoor|
|3||Snow town cave level 1|
|4||Snow town cave level 2|
|2||Central Tulimshar Indoor|
|023||1||Beach Cliffs **|
|024||1||Tulimshar Canyon/Tulimshar Magic School|
|2||Tulimshar Magic School indoor|
|025||1||Graveyard Swamp East|
|026||1||Graveyard Swamp West|
|3||Easter Island caves|
|3||Candor Cave (Fight cave)|
|030||1||Snow Field South (Romantic Place))|
|2||Snow Field South Indoor (Santa's workshop)***|
|031||1||East Nivalis (Nivalis Port)|
|2||East Nivalis indoor|
|3||East Nivalis Ice Caves|
|4||Cindy's Cage Cave|
|032||1||Desert mountains (Miriam extension)|
|3||Desert mountains (Miriam extension), caves|
|033||1||South-West Snow path (Barbarians Camp)|
|044||1||Snow Hills **|
|3||Snow Hills Ice Caves **|
|045||1||Deep Snow Forest|
|046||1||Highlands 1 (Rock Plateau)|
|3||Highlands Ice Caves|
|048||1||Blue Sages Outdoors|
|2||Blue Sages Library|
(*) Map pending release (**) Map planned or under construction (***) Temporary Map release
How to map
When you want to make maps for The Mana World but you don't know how to start, read the Mapping Tutorial.
The naming scheme we're using at the moment is described in it's own article here: EAthena Map Names.
On the new server we will be able to have a much more convenient map names. Refer to the Map naming article for details.
The current priority is the expansion of the woodland area and transform it to the northern area of the Argaes continent. The plan is to expand the current area to the northeast. A tileset for the trade city is currently in development. This time should be used to close the gap between Hurnscald (map 18) and the new trade city and map the trade cities surrounding.
You can visit the following forum thread for currently needed mapping tasks.