Hurnscald is a town which is surrounded by the lush Woodland area. This town is a centre for many Quests in game. It is the Capital of Argaes. Many players gather at this town to talk, to access their storage, or to bank their GP, etc.
Its main export is lumber - mainly from Raw Logs and Roots, which Jack the lumberjack supplies readily, and Iron Ore which the mines are full of. The Mana Seed is located in the nearby Woodland, and involves visiting NPCs here. Potions are readily available here to those who have the patience to forage all the Herbs needed as well as Selim the Dyer, who can change the color for you.
Hurnscald is the central port, where ferries arrive and depart from all continents.
What to Do
Hurnscald Town itself boasts a variety of shops that you can go to, and there are a number of places that are a starting point to many of the Quests. The accompanying map shows Hurnscald, as well as the Hurnscald Outskirts. Pay attention to this area as there are quests here too. Other letters will show you where you can go in town. For instance, there are:
- The Town Itself:
- Inn - Stop in for a drink (see Melinda, or the Barkeeper, or you can go and rest by speaking to the Receptionist. Kfahr is in here as well, along with others.
- Archery Shop - see Apprentice for your archery supplies, or speak to Alan for other things.
- Potion Shop - speak to Wyara, who will give you information regarding magic, and she can also direct you to the potions on the bookshelf behind her.
- Hospital - Low level players (<20) can see the Nurse for a free health restoration, and those who are more higher levels can see her to rest. She also teaches the Resist Poison skill, once you have reached a certain level.
- Storage Room - The storage room is available for you to store your many items and your GP. You can also buy and sell at the General Store, or get clothes dyed and bleached by Selim. The Inspector is on hand for any emergencies too, as I believe there is an ongoing investigation at present. Trader moved in from Tulimshar not too long ago and has set up a store inside too.
- Forge - You may buy forged steel armor from Peter, and a selection of helmets as well as the Steel Shield here from Nicholas, as long as you have availed yourself of the necessary items to manufacture them.
- Hurnscald House - Formerly known as Town Hall, Hurnscald House has a number of rooms in it to relax, as well as a nice large table for players to sit around in a group (seats 18). You can see Airlia while there and discuss your mount, or you can go upstairs and rest in bed.
- The Sanguine Vault - Underneath the store is the Sanguine Vault; an arena for PvP, along with a place for refreshments. You may enter as a visitor and as a spectator without the fear of being attacked by other players. The arena is the only place this happens.
- The Outskirts - The Outskirts of Hurnscald contain a number of Quests, as well as a neat hunting ground of lower and mid level monsters.
- NPCs to see in Hurnscald and Outskirts
- Battle Master
- Constable Bob
- General Store
- Old Man
- Old Woman
- Soul Menhir
- Undead Tree
- Water Pump
After releasing the first woodland map it became apparent that the woodland area needed at least one settlement when it was supposed to expand. Most of the existing indoor and outdoor tiles were made for Tulimshar and were mainly desert-themed. Thus the development of two new village tilesets, an indoor and an outdoor tileset, was started under the working title "Woodland Village".
The tilesets were created primarily by Crush between autumn 2005 and winter 2006. Crush also did the mapping and the initial NPC scripting of the town. Because of his dedication to this sub-project for over a year, the town was named after him. Hurnscald is an anagram of Crush Land.
Prior to Hurnscald being built, the players used to meet in Tulimshar. This changed when the Northern Mine and later the Graveyard were added to the Argaen continent. These two difficult but rewarding level areas attracted a lot of high-level players and turned it into the center of the community.